Ha Sefako, Butha Buthe, Lesotho
I graduated from Penn State and currently live in Lesotho, Southern Africa as I serve in the Peace Corps!

My Lesotho Videos

Sunday, November 30, 2008

No one told me there were scorpions in Lesotho!

I just got back from a 2 hour hike with my host brother. The family that I am living with lives in Mafoka, a small village in Maseru. Their home is at the bottom of a small mountain range. I got here yesterday and am really enjoying myself. When I got to my host families home, my ‘M’e, or mother, renamed me Rethabile Mothibe. From now on, I am expected to use my Sesotho name when introducing myself.

Their home is made of cinderblock and has a tin roof, which is one of two types of homes I have seen. I have my own room with a bed, table, and cabinets. I think they use this room as their kitchen when they are not hosting volunteers. Last night my ‘M’e made beans and bread for dinner. The bread was really good! She told me that I would learn how to make the bread on Monday! Right after dinner she showed me something in my room, told me goodnight, and closed the door. It was only 8:00 so I cleaned up my room by candlelight and went to bed. Around 12:00 the strongest, loudest storm ever came through our town. I was convinced our roof was going to fly off. The lightning lit up the whole room and the thunder was incredibly loud. When my ‘M’e woke me up this morning, I asked her if the thunder kept her up, she said no! It takes a serious sleeper to sleep through a storm like that.

This morning, I took a bucket bath at 6:00, which is still pretty strange. I managed to get soap in my eyes and water all over the place. I just got back from a hike with my “brother.” I thought we were just going to check out the village, but we ended up hiking to the top of a cliff-like mountain and sitting on the top of a huge bolder for a while. The view was amazing! He laughed for a few minutes when he noticed that I was gripping the rock as hard as possible.
Later today, I will be mapping the community with the other 7 volunteers staying in this village. It’s really nice to have a day to relax.

No comments: