Ha Sefako, Butha Buthe, Lesotho
I graduated from Penn State and currently live in Lesotho, Southern Africa as I serve in the Peace Corps!

My Lesotho Videos

Monday, February 23, 2009

HIIi

Hey everyone! I’m sitting in a double story rondoval, a grass roofed hut, typing to everyone. I have to keep my computer connected to the power because my battery won’t charge! I’m not really sure what’s going on. Anyway, about 8 volunteers are here with around 20 high school students for Diversity Camp. This weekend, the students learned about people who are different than most people living in their village. We had gay and lesbian speakers, a person who is HIV positive, a Taiwanese woman, and people to test and teach about HIV/AIDS. The kids seemed really engaged and interested in what was going on. I think it would be great to do something very similar in my village!
It’s been a while since I’ve written a blog, so I’ll catch everyone up on the past few weeks! Last Wednesday one of my schools hosted Cultural Day. The day was a chance for people to sing and dance to traditional music and get together as a community. Women sold some of the arts and crafts they made, which was a great way to bring some money into the community. Some of the profits benefited the orphans in the community! It was really cool to see some of the traditional dancing. I’m going to try to put pictures up and even video on youtube! We also got to see girls coming back from initiation school. I’m not sure how much I can really talk about it…it’s very secretive, but the school is where they learn how to be a man or woman. When the girls came back, they wore beaded masks and were topless. They had painted their chests white and were parading through villages to show the men that they had become women. Some of the girls will go back to school, but many will not.
On Friday, my schools had a welcome party for me! All of the teachers came and we had a great time! It was a really nice thing for the teachers to do. We ate, danced, and had a great time!
Well I have to go! I'll be back in town in 2 weeks!!

No comments: