Ha Sefako, Butha Buthe, Lesotho
I graduated from Penn State and currently live in Lesotho, Southern Africa as I serve in the Peace Corps!

My Lesotho Videos

Friday, September 11, 2009

The Dentist came to visit!





Hellooo! Big news! I learned how to flip my tongue over! I know, I know. It took me a long time to figure it out, but with lots of practice, I can do it. I’m pretty excited about it.

In other news…I have been talking to a Nigerian dentist that works at the hospital in Botha-Bothe. I asked him to come and visit one of my schools to teach about the importance of brushing. He came yesterday with a psychologist, another dentist, and a guy who spoke about mental health. They had those big teeth you see in dentist’s offices and a huge toothbrush and showed the kids how to brush. They also had a set of fake teeth that showed what theirs would look like if they didn’t brush. I didn’t know the other doctors were coming, but they talked about drug abuse, ways to keep mentally and physically healthy, and gave some career guidance. When they were finished talking to the kids, the dentists looked at each kids teeth and recommended that a few of them come to town for him to fix their teeth. He even offered to do it free of charge! It’s kind of expensive to get them to town and back, so I’m looking into ways to get the kids down to see him. I’m pretty excited about it. I went to visit him today and he told me that he would love to visit the other schools I work with, but he would have to find some time to do it. I also visited the local HIV testing center and asked if they would like to visit the schools to teach about sexual health. They said they would love to and we are looking into having them come in January and February! Big day!

Well I am on my way to a workshop with some teachers from town. Hope everyone is well!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Once again you are making a big difference in everyone's life in Lesotho and I hope you realize how wonderful a job you are doing! I miss you!!!<3

neuza said...

would like to assist the dentist with more oral health education in schools and communities at large